Coronavirus Cleaning Guide: How To Clean & Disinfect From COVID-19
With the majority of people self-isolating at home, and essential workers continuing to go to work each day, cleaning and disinfecting our homes and workplaces has never been more of a priority.
Recent studies have shown that Coronavirus (COVID-19) can remain in the air for up to a few hours and live on plastic or stainless steel surfaces for several days. And while practicing good hand hygiene and social distancing measures are a good preventative measure, how do we ensure that our living and work areas are as clean and safe as possible?
Here is a best practice guide to keeping your workplace and living areas clean, disinfected and Coronavirus free.
Cleaning And Disinfecting
Step One: clean, then Step Two: disinfect. Effectively cleaning and disinfecting your home or workspace is a two-step process:
- Cleaning with an all-purpose cleaning product or soapy water will remove and reduce surface dirt and germs.
- Disinfecting with a surface-appropriate disinfectant such as a disinfecting wipe or spray will kill the virus on a surface after the cleaning step.
Be sure to clean and disinfect regularly to help limit the spread of the virus.
Areas To Target: High-traffic Areas And High-touch Surfaces
The more we self-isolate at home, the lesser the chances of the spread of COVID-19. And if no one at home has tested positive to the virus, there is no need to clean obsessively.
However, you may want to clean and disinfect in communal, high-traffic or high-touch areas (and particularly in a busy workplace) on a daily basis just to be safe. Be sure to clean these specified areas from top to bottom, left to right. Remove all items from tabletops and desk surfaces first prior to wiping the area clean with a disinfecting wipe or spray.
High-touch surfaces to focus on include:
- Door knobs and handles
- Appliance handles: fridge, dishwasher, ovens
- Table surfaces
- Kitchen counters
- Toilet seats and flush buttons
- Light switches
- Staircase railings
- Mobile phones and landlines
- TV remote controls
- Game controllers
- Keyboards and computer mice
- Elevator buttons
If you are sick or living with someone who is self-isolating and suspect a surface may be contaminated, ensure you clean and disinfect the affected area while wearing protective gloves and be sure to clean household surfaces on a daily basis.
Which Cleaning Products To Use
Chances are, you already have all the necessary cleaning products you need in your cupboard. The most important thing to note here is not so much which brand of product to use, but to enlist the two-step “clean and disinfect” method.
First clean surfaces with soapy detergent and water then follow up by disinfecting with a bleach or alcohol-based solution (with at least 70% alcohol). Spray the disinfectant onto the surface and then wipe clean with a soft cleaning cloth or disinfectant wipe.
When it comes to choosing an effective disinfectant that will eliminate COVID-19, check the label to ensure the product actually kills viruses (and not just bacteria). Chlorine-based disinfectants are often effective when it comes to eliminating Coronavirus. You can also use diluted household bleach solutions for disinfecting.
Be careful not to mix different cleaning products together and always read product labels for the correct use.
When To Call The Professionals
Don’t have the time, capability or equipment to effectively sanitise or decontaminate your home or workplace against Coronavirus? Call the professionals at NTCSC for peace of mind and a thorough, effective sanitation and decontamination clean.
Our team are highly-trained and experienced biohazard remediation experts who know the correct procedures when it comes to decontaminating affected areas. We can clean and sanitise homes, businesses, commercial shops, food outlets, warehouses and any type of vehicle.
Why call the professionals at NTCSC?
- Our technicians are thorough, highly-trained and experienced in effective biohazard remediation
- We use hospital-grade, EPA registered viral pathogen antimicrobial disinfectants and cleaning methods that effectively remove traces of the Coronavirus
- Treated surfaces will continue to be protected with for up to 100 days – guaranteed
- Safety is our utmost priority – our team use full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at every job
- We offer a flexible, tailored service that can be scheduled daily, weekly or monthly depending on your needs or the number of people at the premises
- We are discreet and abide by strict confidentiality protocols
- Our team are always on call and available to clean anytime, 24/7
- We offer no obligation, free quotes